Friday, May 27, 2011

Mullingar Summer Camp



Once again, I'm planning a summer camp - at Mullingar Educate Togethr NS. We'll be making the most of the organic garden that was a part of the school's 2011 Pride of Place award - it's their third win, and their second in this location.

Summer Camps are funny things. Sure, they occupy the children during the
long school holidays (and get them in out of the Irish Summer weather!). But
they generally fall into two categories - Sport or the Arts. Once again I'm bucking this trend to teach students about Science through Nature.

Readers of this blog know that I have been been gardening ʻforeverʼ. I hope to share some of my enthusiasm for nature and the outdoors in this camp.


On top of my BSc, I have just finished a Post Graduate Diploma in Education in Maynooth, so I'll be putting some of what I've learned into action.


ʻCurious Kids – Science & Nature Summer Campʼ is 5 days of fun activities for
7-12 year olds. It runs fro July 25th to July 29th.

Using the school garden and common household ingredients, students will explore Biology, Chemistry and Physics. Participants will harvest,
cook and eat fresh produce from the garden. They will plant and save seeds,
and make seed bombs. Like all good scientists, they will keep a record –last
years participants still refer to the diary where they documented their experiences and observations.


The cost is €70 per child; if you have more than one child attending there are discounts available. For bookings/more information, contact Anna on (087) 2222562 or send an email to annambrowne@gmail.com.

2 Comments:

At 9:23 a.m., Blogger Matron said...

Such a wonderful thing to encourage young people to get their hands into the soil. I started as a wee small child on my Father's allotment.

 
At 5:35 p.m., Blogger Anna Bee said...

Thanks Matron - kids really respond so well to learning in nature...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home