Sunday, September 12, 2010

Rhubarb and Ginger Chutney

Rhubarb has such a unique flavour, and there's only so much crumble you can make. I like to freeze rhubarb when it's plentiful - I just wash and dry it, cut it up and bag it - and come back to it when there's time.

Last week was my first week in college since 1984 - I'm back studying to become a maths teacher. I was more exhausted each day, and had no kitchen time at all - thankfully my supportive husband took care of feeding me (and the rest of the family) very well all week. But after a great sleep, I wanted to feel like myself again.

So I spent a little time in the garden, filling up a recently renovated raised bed with compost. It will settle in readiness for the spinach I planted in trays last week, and for the hard-necked garlic I saved.

I felt a bit more like myself after then, but some kitchen time was in order too. So I made some Rhubarb and Ginger chutney - and here's the recipe. Tastes pretty good - but with chutney you have to wait a bit - hopefully it will taste even better!

Rhubarb and Ginger chutney

1.5 kg rhubarb
2 large onions - chopped up
300ml white wine vinegar
350g white sugar
100g brown sugar
2 large thumbs fresh ginger - chopped up
1 teasp ginger powder
5 chunks crystallised ginger
100g sultanas
1 teasp salt


I simmered all the ingredients for an hour or so, and when everything was soft, and the bubbles were lava like, I potted it up into sterilised jars. If you try making it, let me know how you get on!

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home