Sunday, March 21, 2010

9 bean rows will I have....



I love growing (and eating) beans and now that I have the allotment, I can plant loads! The problem was, how to stake them all. Last year the bamboo stakes blew down just when the pods were starting to fill. So I was looking for a more rigid solution for the allotment.

My brother - who is a genius at repurposing - came up with this grid. I'll supplement with some bamboo and hazel to increase the height, but this is an excellent foundation.

He has rigged up an incredible water harvesting system - using watertanks chained together, and taking a good amount of the water from his hayshed roof. The metal grid was a casing from one of the water tanks used in this system.

The bend in it makes it more stable than if it was straight, and the organic curve fills my heart with delight! Have to wait till April - at the earliest - to plant the beans though...

2 Comments:

At 8:28 p.m., Blogger Shaheen said...

Hi Anna,
I've come over via Peggs blog. Nice to make your acquaintance.
I lost my allotment plot ealry this year and am now limitd to growing in my small veg plot at home and was wondering about growing some beans on something sturdy and this is a wonderful idea. Can I borrow your brother :D Just kidding, Thanks for sharing this nifty idea.

 
At 12:03 p.m., Blogger Anna Bee said...

Hi Mangocheeks -
Welcome! Sorry that you lost you allotment. Glad you like the support idea - he's a good brother! And quite ingenious!

Anna

 

Post a Comment

<< Home