Thursday, October 05, 2006

In past years, this time of the year has been a time to batten down the hatches and read seed catalogues.This year, inspired by an email from http://www.realseeds.co.uk/, I decided to try for some winter veg. Planting a daikon crop after the solstice had started to stretch my growing season - any earlier, and they bolt. But now I'm trying to have more than just daikon for the next few months.

In late August, my long suffering husband got the job of digging a new bed to accomodate the cloche we bought at the start of the season in Lidl. Another great deal at only €20. In there I put mizuna, pak choi, chinese cabbage, and daikon. It's now October, and we're eating salads with the mizuna.


Lidl cloche Posted by Picasa


Mizuna in cloche Posted by Picasa

Around that time I planted lettuce in one of my big plastic pots - it's growing slowly - I'm hoping that it's height will protect if from the early frosts.

In mid September, we harvested all of the tomatoes, and cleared the beds to put in turnip greens, mustard greens, and corn salad. The corn salad is doing the best - the slugs are enjoying the rest.

2 Comments:

At 1:37 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

i too grew mizuna this year but it was a disaster. Every leaf was peppered with tiny holes from some kind of pest. I grow organically so didnt want to use any spray etc. Any idea what the pest is and how to cure the problem. ??

 
At 9:27 p.m., Blogger Anna Bee said...

Hmm, not exactly sure. Caterpillar, beetles, or slugs would be my guesses. My mizuna in the cloche has a few holes, but not many.

When you grow organically, you have to share:-). Try spraying with water with a little dishwashing liquid in it - that might repel bugs. Or you could grow some nice tender lettuce nearby, and hope they eat that. Or maybe try draping with fleece. And inspect the leaves regularly, and remove any invaders.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home